Schwarz Wine Co., The Grower, Shiraz, 2021, Barossa Valley, South Australia

Producer Profile

While not holding any formal qualifications in winemaking, Jason’s appetite for the subject was voracious and he was lucky to learn from some of the Barossa’s finest winemakers until finally, after some encouragement from friends he approached his father to discuss buying a small parcel of the fruit from the 2001 vintage. He agreed and Jason put together his first Nitschke Block Shiraz, making only two hogs head barrels. In 2002 Jason produced his first Thiele Road Grenache and have made both wines every vintage since. To this day Jason’s parents have supported his venture and without their encouragement and the sacrifice of some of the Barossa’s greatest Shiraz and Grenache he could not have made this dream happen.

Relationships with some of the Barossa’s finest vignerons have grown over the years and having access to some of the region’s best old-vine fruit allows Jason to take a hands-off, intuitive approach in the winery.

Jason’s minimal intervention winemaking style enables him to create small-batch wines that are not mainstream – they are new-age expressions of Barossa classics, designed to allow the fruit to speak for itself and tell a story through the glass.

“The Grower” range is dedicated to all the Growers that Jason works with, whose hard work and dedication to their craft enable him to purchase luscious fruit year after year. The Grower range is a testament to the amazing growers Jason has forged long-term relationships with since 2001.


Sourced from growers. The fruit for this wine was grown over six sub regions in the Barossa Valley; from Moppa in the north to Hallett’s Valley in the south with Bethany as the dominant sub region.

The fruit for this wine was grown over eight sub regions in the Barossa Valley & was sourced from fifteen growers from vineyards in Bethany, Vine Vale, Gomersal, Marananga, Hallett Valley, Stonewell, Moppa & Eden Valley. Each sub region has its own unique character, adding personality and complexity to the final blend.

Growers: Mark Schwarz, Sam Dahlitz, Karl Schiller and Darren Westlake.


All fruit was fermented in small open fermenters with wild yeast (naturally occurring yeast from the vineyard) Pump overs, hand plunging and foot stomping was carried out as required. The wines were softly pressed and kept separately until initial blending began in March 2021. Final blending occurred in June 2021. 10% of the finished blend is whole bunch (bunches of grapes added to the fermentation tank without the berries removed from the stalk. This process assists with tannin structure as the stalks break down in the fermentation process) 79% of this wine was matured in French oak puncheons & hogsheads. The remaining 21% was tank matured.

Tasting Note

A Barossa Shiraz for any night of the week -a classic “drink, don’t think” style of a South Australian classic wine style from Jason Schwarz.

A fresh and perfumed nose, violets the leading impression over musk and blue fruit.  The palate is rounded with great shape and feel in the mouth, and while the acid profile adds freshness and a precision to the flavours, the wine is by no means austere or lacking generosity – if anything 2021 sees this cuvee packing on a little more muscle.  Flavour-wise it’s pretty classic Barossa Shiraz, full of black fruits, dried herbs and earth.

Goes well with

Beef Bourguignon in the winter, BBQ meats in the summer.


Works as a young drinker or will certainly reward a few years down.

Don’t just take our word for it…
“Plump, juicy black and red- berry fruit, licorice and earthy roasting spices flow from nose to palate on this ripe yet balanced Shiraz. It’s succulent and mouthfilling on the palate but it retains structure, freshness and drinkability, as long as a plate of protein is in sight.” – 91 Points – Christina Pickard, The Wine Enthusiast

Varieties:  Shiraz 100%
Colour: Red
ABV: 14.3%
Closure: Screwcap
Style: Still Wine
Case Size: 12 x 75cl
Country: Australia
Region: Barossa Valley
Vintage: 2021

Enquire Now

    Product Description

    Click to find out more.

    Additional information

    Weight 1 kg